Thursday, August 14, 2014

Elderberry Syrup

So, most cough syrups are pretty nasty for you - and do the opposite of what they are suppose to. Natural cough syrups from the health food store are convenient and usually wholesome, but very expensive if you are having to give it around the clock to multiple children (like, we may have to skip eating for a week in order to medicate the family.)
A few years ago when I started playing around with holistic medicine I learned a very simple tincture recipe....it's so very easy and in the end you have a whole quart of fresh, organic, toxin free cough syrup for a fraction of what it would cost at the drugstore. 
Here's how I do it :


I buy some of my herbs online, often on Amazon. If there is a deal going on at Bulk Herbs I will use them, but being on a budget...I generally just do what is cheapest for our family. For a cough syrup I love to use Wild Cherry Bark and Elderberry...if I have it I will throw in some dried peppermint just for kicks. If you purchase a pound of each, it will be enough for at least 3 batches (I've only ever needed one batch for winter.)
I take half a cup of Wild Cherry Bark and half a cup of Elderberries and put them in the bottom of a quart jar. 
I then add half a cup of boiling water and let that mixture "steep."



I then pour Vegetable Glycerin directly over the herb mixture until I get to the top of the jar....screw on a lid...and done. It's best to store this in a cool dark location and give it a little shake every week. After about 3 months (just in time for Halloween germs!) I strain it...toss the herbs....re bottle my syrup and I'm done. I have about a quart of cough syrup and it works FABULOUSLY. 


I made my jar a couple days ago....there she is...sittin' pretty, ready to do "her thing" in a few months. 
Feeling prepared and giving thanks,
Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. Intriguing. Might have to give it a spin sometime. How do you know which herbs to buy on Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just look for ones that Organic ... my last purchase came from Frontier Herbs

    ReplyDelete