Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Creative Mind

There once was a pile of scrap wood, laying in a dark garage. 
It was cold on the cement.
Sometimes a little spider would creep around, running across the back of the pine, tickling his knots.
The wood didn't really like it.
He wanted to be something.


There once was a little girl that had a love for all things miniature.
Little rugs, little thimbles, little tables.
Little flowers.
Little people. 
All things little - she loved them.


There once was a storm.
There was heavy wind and hail.
Several branches were stripped of their dignity and knocked to the ground,
their fate was "mulch."


There was a creative mind...or two.
There were hammers and nails and saws and glue.
There was a whole lot of love for the stacks of pine,
the branches...but mostly...
for that sweet little girl.


It took a little time, a whole lot of patience,
some sanding and some reworking.
In the end, 
the sleepy stack of wood 
the fallen down branch
became something new.
something lovely.

The little girl's heart swelled,
the creative minds were satisfied.


“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.” 
― Francis of Assisi


Also...a little tree painting for your Saturday. 
Some day I may learn to paint something besides birch trees...
It's just that I haven't found anything I love quite the same 
as these tall , stately, romantic creatures. 

Happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Love the tree house...adorable! Your birch paintings are stunning...I think I have said that before, keep right on painting them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, you are a girl after my own heart. I love the magic of little things and Birches by Robert Frost has always been my favorite poem. Now that I have two boys running around my house, it's even more meaningful. I've been searching the world over for a birches print/painting (not Aspen) that fits our style and color scheme to hang on one of my walls. Maybe I'll take after you and create my own! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete