Thursday, May 5, 2016

Soaking It All In


Whenever you are creating beauty around you, you are restoring your own soul.
~ Alice Walker

I would like to add...whenever mothers are creating beauty around them, or noticing beauty around them ...unapologetic-ally, delighting in gorgeousness ... she is restoring not only her soul, but also her childrens'.


There we sat, under the tree (I think the kids decided on the name  Everly for her) ... watching the birds and listening to the bees - finding the invisible trail that the ants follow ...licking the first Popsicles of the season. Tristan got up and put his little plush turtle in the tree and said "there mom, it's hugging the tree. You know mom, you have to take very good care of trees." 


We laid on our backs and looked up into branches and blooms and sun. I took a deep breath and said "kids, close your eyes and breath in deeply...you know what that is?" Little eyes shut and freckled noses wrinkled and chests puffed up with the deep breath ... "that's pine" I said. 
Addicting. 


Bug came and sat in my lap, cuddled his head against my heart and I said "I love you so much Finn, you are my very good friend." He looked up and said "I like you too." 
I don't know why I ever complain that I need more people in my life when these four treasured humans fill me to the brim. They need me and like me. 
Today we talked about feelings while sitting on the blanket. It was a perfect unschool moment - just plain soaking in good character. We talked about kindness and protecting little animals and people and bugs. We talked about the good parts of beetles and bees and  ants. 
We tried saying the word “myrmecology”
We laughed a lot.

Tristan reminded us that he loves little ants and likes them to crawl on his skin. 


“Children are great imitators of others' behavior. When they are surrounded by people who love them and respond to them respectfully, and with empathy, they respond this way to others, too.”
 -- Tamara Parnay


These little faces ...
hopes and dreams and potential
that's what is in a little face
or should be.


We named the trees, the butterflies ... the robin that plucks around in our yard. They named the dove (well...all of the doves) Skyler. Tonight we will drink mineral water and watch the sky glow orange. We will sit and watch the sun slip down behind the mountains, and I will look around me and feel grateful. 


"No one has yet fully realized the wealth of sympathy, kindness, and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure."
 -- Emma Goldman

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect time with your beautiful kiddos. Children have such generous and open hearts, and I agree, they are all we need. Such precious gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post. I always leave your blog with a smile on my face. The world needs more of what you are teaching your babies. Oh, and I have a nephew named Tristan. I love that name!! : ) Happy weekend to you and your crew!! xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet.... What a perfect reminder
    Catherine in KS

    ReplyDelete